Pages

Tuesday 22 January 2013

A Day in the Life (Part Two)

I am completely run off my feet today, so I'm just going to point you to my guest post over at the Random House blog. I'm their Author in Residence this month, which is totally cool, so do pop over and have a look!

I wrote about a day in my writing life a couple of years ago and so much has changed since then (book out, baby out, moving house) that I thought I ought to take stock again. That guest post is the result. Here are tiny extracts from both posts to compare:

Then

3.50 PM: Notice that I received a text message half an hour ago. Odd. Why didn't I hear that? Hmm. Forget to reply to text message because brain is fully lost in book-world. 
4.10 PM: Realize I'm hungry. Even odder. Have I not eaten today? Oh. Why didn't I? Hmm. Forget to eat because brain is fully lost in book-world. 
5 PM: Brain aches. Eat a plum.

Now 


10.30AM – 12.30PM Baby asleep. Put baby very gingerly down in cot and race like a maniac to laptop. Write one blog post, two pages of book and answer interview questions for blogger. Start writing a third page of book. Consider eating. Baby wakes up and interrupts.


It's amazing how much difference a tiny baby can make! (And also how some things don't change at all...)

Hope you're all having a fantastic week.

9 comments:

  1. It is amazing how much life changes with children. But it's wonderful if you can still find time for yourself. It makes you a better mom. so keep writing, even if it is only in small chunks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone is ever prepared for how much life changes with children!

      Delete
  2. Yes, baby naps can be a productive time. Or not. Heading over to read your interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I definitely have those days where I forget to eat because I'm so lost in writing. I love that. :)

    ReplyDelete