Pages

Tuesday 15 January 2013

It's out there!

To those of you who follow my page on Facebook or who've seen this on Twitter, this may be old news. But I wanted to share it here anyway!

My book.

In a real bookshop.

On real shelves.



In a lot of ways, this was the moment I spent years waiting for. This was the moment it was supposed to, finally, feel real. And to be perfectly honest, there are few things - very few things - more exciting and squee-worthy than seeing your book on shelves. (It's also kind of embarrassing to stand there taking photographs while people stare, but we'll disregard that part.)

I loved it. But I also realized, when I saw it, that my book had already felt real. It had been real for a couple of months and it was only in hindsight that I realized that. I think it became real the moment I got my first email from a reader, from someone who didn't know me or my mother or my husband in the slightest, from someone who completely randomly picked up my book and loved it. It felt real then.

So seeing my book was brilliant. I will always, always treasure the moment I spotted it and spotted subsequent copies of it elsewhere. But getting your emails is even more brilliant. Thank you for that.

What are you excited about this week?


PS. I know the book's been out there in the US and plenty of other places for months, so this is probably in no way exciting for you guys, but this was the first time I got to go see it. So it was a win for me.

18 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Heck with what people thought. You should've been shouting it to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?? I so wish I was less shy and more able to just yell THIS IS MY BOOK!!!! to all and sundry!

      Delete
  2. Ahh, I can only imagine the elation... Congratulations!!

    I've heard so many good things about your book on a lot of blogs and the premise is mouth-watering. Can't wait to get my hands on it in this corner of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy it when (or if) you get it :-)

      Delete
  3. It looks great! Congratulations, Sangu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's kinda crazy that it's been out in other places but you couldn't go see it at a bookstore. I bet it was a great moment! Like Alex said I would have been telling everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! When it officially pubbed in the US back in August, I made my editor go to a bookstore and take a photo for me. Which was awesome. But not the same as walking in and picking it off the shelf myself.

      Delete
  5. Wow, what an incredible moment, Sangu!! I'm so thrilled for you and am glad you've truly soaked it in. Many more to come for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree with you. That email from the stranger has got to be the BEST part. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can only imagine how amazing that feeling has to be! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must be an amazing feeling!!! You deserve it =)

    ReplyDelete